I regard poetry as work dedicated to imagining the real, therefore making the utmost demands in thinking, feeling, truthfulness, philological knowledge and prosodic skill.
For good or ill, my writing speaks for itself, through a substantial number of books including a selected poems.
Work with Students
I have advised work on New York School poets, poetry and the law, poetry and documentary, theoretical poetics, modernist and late modernist British poetry. I am involved in an international project on outsider writing.
- Poetic Thought
- Outsider Writing
- New York School poetry and painting
- Black Mountain
- Mid-century British poetry and painting
- Contemporary British poetry
- How to Read Difficult Poems
- Wilkinson, John. Ghost Nets. Oakland CA: Omnidawn, 2016.
- Wilkinson, John. Schedule of Unrest. Selected Poems. Cromer UK: Salt Publishing, 2014.
- Wilkinson, John. Reckitt’s Blue. Calcutta, London and New York: Seagull Books, 2012.
- Wilkinson, John. Down to Earth. Cambridge UK: Salt Publishing, 2008.
- Wilkinson, John. My Reef My Manifest Array. Manchester UK: Carcanet, 2019
- Wilkinson, John. Lyric in Its Times. London & New York: Bloomsbury Academic, 2019